Join me on Facebook!

Saturday, August 25, 2007

The Language of Visual Art

Worship I, mixed media (oil pastel, acrylic, and added texture)

This piece was done several years ago. In an effort to use visual art as a pure expression of worship, this was the first piece from a series. I wanted to create something that was not contrived or planned - and simply use my materials and the moment to express my heart. And yet - in so doing - I wanted to make a meaningful piece artistically.... let's see if I can explain what I mean.... I wanted to use the elements of art (line, shape, value, color, texture) to work together correctly so that the final outcome, though quite abstract, still held together in a unified whole. Thus, using the visual language with meaning.

To me, this is one of the most difficult things about making abstract art. Very challenging to do well. I hope I have. It was very enjoyable to create this piece ~ and to use this language as an expressive act of worship.

4 comments:

Maria Catalina Wiley said...

Hi Helen,
I like this piece - the way you've used the colours & lines. I think abstract art is much harder to do as you have to go with instincts alot of the time. You've done a great job :)
Maria from Biloela

Maria Catalina Wiley said...

Hi again Helen,
I liked reading the section on 'convergence of art,life & faith'.
HE is the ultimate creator & artist & it is no wonder I feel a closeness when I create & paint - a feeling of 'rightness'.

Happy painting :)
Maria

Helen Read said...

Thanks Maria! I appreciate your comments :-)

Lynda Lehmann said...

Powerful and very effective image, Helen! To me, doing art ia a form of worship, an affirmation of life and the grandeur of the universe.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...