Join me on Facebook!

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

A Pile of Peppers


Pepper Pile, 6 x 6" Oil on canvas

The paint is dry and ready to show. These came from my garden and are in varying stages of maturity. I really loved the variety of color! I was interested to capture several qualities in this painting. First, I loved the floppy leaf "top knot" - almost like a head of hair - on the green peppers, so wanted to show the garden freshness with that. I also liked the reflective qualities of the skin in its various colors and how they each picked up the surrounding colors and reflected light. I also worked a bit with the overall composition - primarily with color and value to keep the eye moving throughout the picture. So, here it is! I think the outcome achieved the overall effect I was looking for.


3 comments:

Debra J.Sepos said...

Hi Helen,
Can't believe you have time to garden too! Nice color and design.

Anonymous said...

You've achieved a beautiful balance here, Helen--very appealing. I know zero about painting in oil, although I do digitally paint selected nature photos using a Wacom Intuos3 Pen Tablet. It's a different media, but the thought behind each piece is the same, I think.

You have such a creative gift, and I love how you're using it! I bet you're an outstanding teacher, too.

myonlyphoto said...

I have to admit photography is much easier from your work, and you still produce stunning work. Anna :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...