Join me on Facebook!

Monday, December 3, 2018

Landscape Re-do ...

Redbuds in Bloom,  11x14" oil on canvas
 ©Helen Read 


 
 It happens!   Sometimes, I'm just not satisfied with the outcome of my work.  This is a good example.   About 3 1/2 years ago, I painted this same scene - on this same canvas!   But, I've never been satisfied.  It seemed washed out. The colors didn't sing.  So, rather than destroy it completely - I repainted it.  I changed the mood of it from misty to a bright day.  And was much looser with the application of paint - giving it a highly textured surface.   

In a lot of ways it is more difficult to repaint on top of a finished painting.  I'd much rather start with a new canvas.  But, the outcome of this version has the beautiful colors of a day washed with sunshine, catching the lovely colors of the sky reflected in the water - and the profusion of lavender-pink redbud blossoms.   

I'm glad I took the time to work out this painting in a way that makes it far more interesting! 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...