Join me on Facebook!

Tuesday, July 31, 2018

The Artist's Sketchbook

How do I find the time 
in a busy life of studio work, teaching, and - well, living ......  


The truth is.... I don't - not always.  But, I know the value of it! 
And I always come back to my resolve to take the time and be disciplined to record my creative thoughts and work.

Why I feel it is highly valuable: 
  • It is a personal roadmap of growth - both of ideas, of skills, of experimentation
  • It is a place to have the often necessary internal dialog of the artist ... to write out fears, roadblocks, motivations, etc  and to resolve the things that need resolution 
  • It can become the motivation needed at some point in the future
  • It is a portable place to work out visual ideas and difficulties 
  • It can be filled with color and beauty - a pleasure to make and to look at!
  • It can act as a record of work done - problems encountered and solutions that worked
  • And it stands as a record of my productivity - a type of accountability tool.

A Peek Inside My Sketchbook!  

I often use my camera to take a photo of something that I find inspiring.... making notes about what I'm seeing and why it inspires my thoughts.  That usually results in a sketch or a small watercolor sketch 


 This sketch was one of my thoughts on a commission -  working out proportions, ideas, colors, in colored pencil.
Then, I photographed the progress - as the painting took shape. 
When it was complete and in use, there was some printed material that I included.

 So many blooms were all at once making their appearance in full color in my garden!
So inspiring...  I sketched out an idea very roughly
And then photographed the completed painting  - making notes about the methods I used,
the outcome, what I liked about the method, etc. 


Sometimes, especially when I am away from my studio (traveling) - it becomes a portable studio.
Sketching should always be part of the artist's life - honing the practice of really seeing and recording that sight. 







As you can see, the beauty of nature ~ God's Creation ~ is a huge inspiration to my artist's eye...  I love to explore the shapes and lines, colors and values -  all of this is recorded in my sketchbook. 

Leave a comment below!  
How do you use your sketchbook?   Do you struggle with the discipline of keeping one?
Maybe you've found some great tips for keeping up with this practice - share your ideas!! 

Oh, by the way, I'm just starting a new way to keep in touch!!
A way for all of us to stay inspired and motivated!

Do you need regular inspiration like I do?
Do you enjoy seeing artist's tips and ideas?
Do you find creative and spiritual encouragement motivating? 

I'm sending out several short emails a month - which is a different email than my monthly newsletter - specifically to encourage others in their creative pursuits.
In the busyness of life (who isn't busy), finding balance can be difficult and often, our creative work gets pushed aside...  There has never been a time when beauty is more needed!  Inspiration and motivation should never be in short supply!   Hit the button below and get regular encouragement for your work!   

Yes! I want to join you!

Look for an email of encouragement in your inbox soon! 
(If you are already a news note friend, but would like to get these emails of inspiration and motivation, be sure to join with the button above.  This is a separate group!) 


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...