Join me on Facebook!

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

A work in progress ~ hostas in sun and shadow


Sunlit Leaf, 8x8" oil on canvas
©2010, Helen Read


This may look a little familiar - I'm working with a previous painting and adding it to a new and larger painting. The original painting, Sunlit Leaf, seen on top above is now part of a 16 x 20" painting on Ampersand Board of hosta plants.

My idea for this is that the hosta leaves will all be in shadow and pushed back (literally and in terms of color and value). The one sunlit leaf is on a protruding canvas and is the only one in bright tones and values. My hope is that it will evoke a sense of 3 dimensionality and sun penetrating the leaf that is closest to the viewer. The difference in color between the photos above have to do with low lighting in the lower 2. The top one is an accurate representation of the work, having been scanned.

Its a grand experiment! I hope it will end up as I envision it! We shall see! I'll continue to work and show you as I go!

studio_upstairs@hotmail.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, Helen. This experiment is a good one to go through. Your leaves are beautiful!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...