Join me on Facebook!

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The first of 3


Sunflower 1, 5x5" Oil on canvas

As I mentioned, I've been working on sunflowers this week. This is the first of 3 ... the rest to come this week as paint dries!

I like the values and hints of complimentary colors in this one. This is a preparation painting for some larger paintings of sunflowers I'm just beginning. I learned a lot about this flower as I did a smallish painting. But, I'm still working out the background colors - I'm not 100% sure about what the background should be, yet.

I also like the things this painting shows about sunflowers. The back seems almost prickly - and the flower itself seems like it is turning and twisting in the light. It is a thick, wet into wet application of paint. The style is a bit reminiscent of VanGogh's style as well, though I didn't plan it that way.

What I hope this painting reveals is something of the intricacies and structure of the flower - but also the way that it has been "clothed". When you think about it, its pretty amazing!

3 comments:

Lynnette Lang said...

I thought Van Gogh before I even read your narration.

Sun flowers are spiritually moving to me. This painting is moving - literally and emotionally

Helen, we need to go to France and museum hop
together

Helen Read said...

Thank you Lynnette!!! France - museums! sounds wonderful!!

hj said...

very nice sunflowers!
From Hélèn to Helen!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...