Join me on Facebook!

Thursday, November 8, 2007

Reflections in red and green


Red and Green, 5x7" Oil on canvas

SOLD
 
What draws us in, as artists, to drawing or painting glass? It isn't easy... in fact, it is frustrating, and yet - it beckons and captivates, almost demands to be portrayed. For anyone who has ever painted - or drawn bottles or jars - you paint the actual bottle, of course.... but you also paint almost everything else in the room - you paint the reflections and the things you can see through the glass as well. Then, the cast shadows also cast a transparent color. The challenge is quite wide reaching!

In this painting - the 2 bottles, very intensely colored, are shown with all their reflections. I also included some small mums out of my garden for some unifying elements of color, and some handwoven cloth. The background was another challenging aspect - it needed to be quite subdued - and yet it needed to provide some sort of visual support for the main idea. There are things I like and things I'm still deciding about on this one.

I used several brands of oil paint, as well as fine detail liquin, which helped with transparency and drying time.


3 comments:

Cindy Garber Iverson said...

So well done! I can completely relate to what you say about wanting to paint glass and shiny things. I always want to capture it in paint. Still don't know why that is. Cindy at Rosehaven Cottage

myonlyphoto said...

The 'stills' was the only thing I could ever paint, nothing beyond, and that was back in elementary school, many many moons ago. Anna :)

MYM said...

I love this! I love the colours, so rich and vivid.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...