Join me on Facebook!

Sunday, September 16, 2007

A map of a different sort

Journey 1 - Acrylic and various other materials on board

This is another experimental abstract. But, it has meaning that became more clear to me after having made it. As I've traversed more of life's unexpected twists and turns, I've begun to see things differently than I did when I was younger. Instead of life looking like a nice little road trip on a well-mapped and often traveled roadway - its begun to look more and more like an adventurous journey through an uncharted land. A little scary at times, unexpected obstacles, yet beautiful vistas; things never before seen or experienced. It would be far too frightening without a Guide. But, as I've learned to journey here, I've learned that I have a Good Guide with a "true heart, and skillful hands." (Psalm 78:72)

This particular piece was made, actually, as a prototype for a class I was teaching to advanced students at the high school level, trying to help them "expand their horizons" artistically. I'm not sure all of them "got it" or even appreciated the experimental nature of making art... many were not willing to risk getting outside the comfort zones of what they'd "mastered"...which is, of course, part of the adventure! There are a variety of materials involved in this smallish painting - cardboard, paper napkins with texture, gesso, cotton string, tape, and many layers of acrylic, even a little oil paint to create a patina.

The idea for this originated from a topo (topographic) map... which, for many of my students, is something completely unknown. Amazing how ideas for art can come out of almost anything - no matter how remotely removed from "artistic subject matter"! (The odd line barely visible a little right of center, is my efforts to scan this image in several parts and piece it together as the larger painting actually is.)

2 comments:

Candy Barr said...

Helen, I like your spiritual abstract series. Nice to explore with art as well!

Cindy Garber Iverson said...

What an intriguing and soothing piece of art. I love the textures and layers as well as the impotus behind the creation of it. Cindy at Rosehaven Cottage

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...