Join me on Facebook!

Monday, April 1, 2019

Summer Cathedral

Summer Cathedral,  20x16" oil on canvas 
©Helen Read 
 

I find such intrigue in the landscape.  This one captured my imagination for a painting.  I took the reference picture almost 3 years ago locally.  I loved the way the sunlight filtered through the leaves, giving all of it a glow.  And then, there were some dark shadowy areas as well, lending a bit of mystery.  

What I hope to accomplish when I paint a landscape it to create an environment that is colorful and energized, yet familiar to the eye.  A bit of a surprise, but also a sense of having been there.  I hope to create a space of peace and beauty, but a little bit of the unknown.  

I named this painting Summer Cathedral because of the arch of the tree, reminding me of a sacred space.  And the way the light filtered through the upper branches was reminiscent of beautiful stained glass windows as one might see in an ancient cathedral.  Somehow, it seemed fitting - a natural place of praise  for the Creator of such beauty.



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...