Join me on Facebook!

Sunday, October 14, 2018

Sunflower Piracy


I just ran across this image on Pinterest and recognized it as my work immediately. 
It is my original art work which I created quite a few years ago. 
The use of this image for a single tattoo was sold in 2013.  But now I see that at least 1(maybe more) companies are selling this very same artwork (only flipped in a mirror image) as temporary tattoo art. 
Of course, I'm glad that it is well liked, but to reproduce someone else's art work without  permission or to sell it and profit by those sales is theft.
When an artist sells an original work, unless it is stated specifically - the artist retains the rights to reproduce that work if they so choose.  The buyer purchases the original work, but not the rights to reproduce it.  
In the case of this tattoo art that was sold, the original was not sold-I still own it.  But I did sell a high quality reproduced image for a one time use to the purchaser in England. 
I assume the image was taken from the internet by someone who liked it and has decided to try to profit from it.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...