Join me on Facebook!

Thursday, September 13, 2018

Take Away - The subtractive approach

The subtractive approach.... For me it's a new way to start a landscape painting. 

I began this painting with transparent paint on a white canvas - covering most of it with broad strokes using a large brush. 



I very roughly added in some values - but no forms show at all yet.


And then, I began to subtract - in very general ways.  



Finally, a landscape idea is beginning to emerge ... but only beginning! 


The underpainting is done.  I'm most concerned about values at this stage - I want the under structure to be composed where values link together.  It's not quite a notan expression, but almost!  
Next steps will add color ~ and the landscape will continue to emerge. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...