Join me on Facebook!

Friday, June 28, 2024

Deep Calls to Deep ~ a new abstract painting

 

Deep Calls to Deep
18x24" acrylic on canvas
©2024 Helen Read 


Abstract painting is challenging!  I've heard it said something to the effect that "my 3 year old could do that!"  Well, maybe.... but abstract painting takes a careful consideration of the elements and principles of design into the planning and execution of a work of art - whether representational or abstract. 

That makes it challenging... because there are a number of things to consider.  Harmony of color.  The use of values.  Shapes and lines that work together in a coordinated way. The placement of various lines, shapes, and values to keep the eye interested and moving through the picture.... to name a few.  

This painting came together, as the video shows, stroke by stroke.  I don't often work in acrylic and found that I learned a lot as I went.  This painting speaks to me of things that are not representational in nature.  It references Psalm 42, which speaks of depth of feeling and emotion, particularly in the waiting & expectation of the presence and goodness of God.  

It is currently part of a local exhibit, and has been awarded a Special Merit award. You can see more about this painting:  https://www.helencread.com/workszoom/5691274/deep-calls-to-deep#/   

If you love landscapes and works of art with themes from nature, please visit me there! 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...