Join me on Facebook!

Tuesday, July 25, 2017

How I got from here to there.... my process



Its always kind of interesting to see a process, don't you think? 
This week, I've been working on a new painting - which is not quite dry yet ...  not quite ready to post in it's final form.  But I took pictures of it along it's journey from first strokes of paint to its near finish.    You'll see I did not start with a drawing - I just began laying in layers of transparent color where they should occur within the painting.

Then in the wet paint, I "drew in" where I wanted the basic shapes to be.
With both transparent and opaque paint, I began to lay in color and form, shadows and light to bring this painting to life.  It's a little different approach than I have typically used - but it gives the final painting a lot of freedom in the way paint is applied and the way color mixes.  

Here's a little better view of the end.... I'll be posting this one soon!  (It will be looking for it's new home!) 

Star of Bethlehem, (Chicago Flower Market), 8x10" - Oil on gesso board
©2017  Helen Read


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...