Join me on Facebook!

Friday, July 27, 2012

Spots of Orange

Spots of Orange, 8.5 x 7" Watercolor/acrylic on #150 watercolor paper
© Helen Read
 
 
I was intrigued by this small spot of orange in a field of green leaves as I recently walked along a wooded road.   I think it is some variety of a pitcher plant, though I don't know for sure. The spots of color on the petals were beautiful, but the entire flower - really quite small - was the surprise to the eye!   It made a very nice watercolor with the orange against the greens and darker values under the leaves.


2 comments:

Autumn Leaves said...

Helen, thanks so much for your uplifting words to me. I always enjoy a blog when it is a fellow Illinoisian.

This truly is beautiful and I once had a mind to do drawings of all the indigenous flowers of our state. So many to do and so little time that the idea wilted on the vine, so to speak. But what gorgeous little surprises we can find when we just open our eyes.

Helen Read said...

Thank you to my friend, Karyn, who told me this morning at church what the name of this flower is!! It is called Jewelweed! It's a beautiful little flower!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...