Join me on Facebook!

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Abstract ~ untitled

untitled abstract, 30 x 22" Acrylic on Paper 
©2010, Helen Read 

The work is finally finished on this abstract.  I made my last dots and circles tonight! 
 Because of its size, I wondered if I would ever finish the multiple layers of color and circles. 
My thoughts on this go back to the book of Genesis. 
One of the first verses speaks of the Spirit of God hovering over the earth which was dark, unformed, and void. I wonder, what would that beautiful, dancing Spirit look like, if in fact it could be depicted? 
It seems to me it would be full of light and color.  Full of energy and dynamic movement. 
Perhaps quite playful and whimsical.  Certainly full of beauty, dispelling the darkness ~
filling the void with breath, life, and even joy. 

What you cannot see readily from my photo is that I've used metallics and perlescent and interference paints along with the other colors.  I wanted to achieve a luminescence in what I painted. 
I wanted to give a sense of lyricism and poetry to this work.  Even in trying to portray these abstract thoughts, I'm quite sure I haven't come close!  Nevertheless - these are my thoughts behind the painting.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...