Join me on Facebook!

Wednesday, November 9, 2022

October Blaze

 October Came in a Blaze of Color! 

I've had a larger painting on my easel this month.  I'd like to say it just flowed off my brush, but honestly it didn't.  I know why... I've been pushing myself out of my comfort zone and it has been challenging.
I've been searching for new color harmonies, and new ways of applying the medium.  New expression, so this painting has been something of a journey. 

It's still drying, but this is a glimpse of how it has come to be. 


Preparations with sketches, thinking about colors with colored pencil. I did a small watercolor to get a sense of the colors I can envision. Is it pleasing? What am I trying to express?  Do these colors, though not exactly natural, read? 


 I like the juxtaposition of lavenders and golds with orange.  What colors do I need to use in oils?

Here, I'm deciding on a color palette (which, as it turns out, needed adjustment). 


A toned canvas and oil sketching large shapes
Then, I began laying in layers of color. 


 
Is this working?  I don't know - I'm having lots of second thoughts.  Again, being in uncharted territory (growth!), I find myself doubting everything. 

So, I am rethinking the palette - am I using the right colors that truly harmonize?  Do I need to make changes?  I did a quick and small oil study on canvas paper using some new colors - particularly changing my blue.  I think a few palette changes are going to be a good idea.  This tells me that what I'm envisioning IS possible.


This is the point when I have to just persevere. It feels like it may never come together.  



 I've decided to use a palette knife to create texture, and
I've worked on the foreground - using a smaller brush to create a sense of motion

 
I also realize I need to work on values (and color) in the tree. 
 
This shows more work on the foreground
and some changes in the sky
The sky is too monochromatic.  It needs to show some kind of value change, and I think at this point, a temperature adjustment near the tree line. 
So, I'll go a little toward green nearer the horizon and a little toward violet at the top of the canvas. I will also not blend it completely, allowing a hint of my brush work to show.

This is my stopping place as I wait for it to dry.  It has helped to take photos along the way, keep notes, and yes - I've prayed for direction and for understanding as I've proceeded into the unknown!


October Blaze, 16x20" oil on canvas
 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...